Saving treasures – Felix Joseph’s gifts to Nottingham
20 May 2017 – January 2018
Art collector Felix Joseph was one of the first individuals to give generously to Nottingham’s museum and art gallery at the Castle when it first opened in 1878. Although he was from a Jewish art dealer family based in London and had no links to Nottingham, he heard about the new art gallery that was being set up and wanted to firstly loan and then donate his substantial collection of Wedgwood pottery and eighteen-century drawings and prints.
In honour of his generosity the Castle Museum Committee commissioned a portrait of him by Charles Knighton Warren, and this portrait will be moved from its usual place in the Long Gallery and will form part of this in focus exhibition which highlights some of the many works on paper and Wedgwood that Felix Joseph donated. Eighteen century artists Samuel Wale, Paul Sandby, Angelica Kauffman, Henry Fuseli, Thomas Stothard and John Flaxman are all represented in this small exhibition.