Learners with Additional Needs
Every effort has been made to make Nottingham Castle a great place to visit for everybody.
A visit to the Castle can be a fantastic experience for learners with additional needs.Please get in touch to discuss how we can best meet the needs of your students and support your visit. You can also find more information about how we support our visitors with additional needs on our accessibility page. Accessibility page SEND groups can determine their own ratios for staff to support students and all tickets for those supporting staff on the visit are free.
WorkshopsHave you considered a workshop with us? We offer hands-on sessions and are adaptable to cover a range of topics. See our full list of workshop sessions. Workshop sessions Please get in touch to discuss how we can best meet the needs of your students and support your visit. We are happy to tailor sessions and create bespoke ones, given notice and capacity.
ResourcesResources for teachers and educators are available on our Resources page. Many of these can support teacher-led visits from groups with additional needs. We also have four Nottingham Castle Visual Stories which look at the Castle, the Caves, the Collection and the Characters. These have been designed to support students with additional needs before visiting us. They will be available when the Castle re-opens, as additional imagery and content is required from our new galleries and spaces. Resources
Curriculum linksAll our sessions and resources for learners with additional needs aim to support the following areas of the National Curriculum across P-Level and primary Key Stages:
- New experiences plus social and emotional development within P-Level.
- Significant historical events, people, and places in their locality within KS1 History.
- Extending chronological knowledge beyond 1066 and a local history study within KS2 History.
- Using drawing, painting and sculpture to develop and share their ideas, experiences and learning about the work of a range of artists, craft makers and designers within KS1 Art and Design.
- Participate in discussions, presentations, performances, role play/improvisations and debates with Primary Literacy.
- Actively promote fundamental British values within Primary SMSC.
Sensory MapsDownload our sensory maps before you visit. Upper Floor Ground Floor Lower Floor and Basement
How can we support your Learning?
If you or your group have any other needs which we have not covered here or in the Accessibility information, please let us know. We welcome feedback, so please do let us know how we can improve on our goal to give you full and equal access to our site.