JOIN US AS A VOLUNTEER TO ENGAGE VISITORS WITH THE HISTORY OF NOTTINGHAM PEOPLE AT BREWHOUSE YARD!
Brewhouse Yard Gardening Volunteer – Nottingham CastleGo to Nottingham City Museums
Brewhouse Yard Gardening Volunteer – Nottingham Castle
Why we want you
We need a team of committed gardening volunteers who can help us create and maintain the gardens and grounds at Brewhouse Yard Museum. There are a range of small cottage garden plots and some areas near the Castle rock which are more wildlife friendly spaces. This is a very special and unique place to be involved in. There have been buildings on this two-acre site since at least 1217 when it was on the banks of the River Leen. Among those residing in Brewhouse Yard were brewing workers, framework knitters, tailors, clock workers, shearmen and dyers. We try to reflect something of the kinds of gardens they may have had.
What you will be doing
- Basic horticultural maintenance tasks such as planting, pruning, weeding, edging, caring for borders etc.
- Some aspects of general park and garden maintenance (no machinery used) such as clearing overgrown areas, general tidying, litter clearing, wildlife conservation, grounds maintenance.
- Providing a friendly face for visitors and answering questions they many have
- Being around on special days to talk to visitors about the gardens
The skills you need
- A pleasant and helpful manner and a willingness to learn
- A keen interest in gardening and or/parks maintenance
- Ability to work in a team and to take guidance from staff and Lead Volunteers
- Physical fitness to do practical outside tasks with minimal supervision
- An interest in social history
What’s in it for you
- Shifts are available weekdays and weekends 10 am – 3.00pm
- Meet new people and have the opportunity to socialise with fellow volunteers. You will be part of a team of volunteers from all ages and backgrounds
- Stay fit and healthy by working out of doors
- Build your experience of working in an outdoor heritage environment.
- Free tea and coffee while on site. Discount in our shop and cafe.
A basic level of health and fitness is required for this role.